Thursday, July 9, 2009

Father's Day...

First, I am sorry I have not written anything to you over the last few weeks. It has been a strange and crazy last month. I'll try to be more prompt with my letters in the future.

North Carolina!

As I had told you we were going to North Carolina for Father's Day to visit you.

The drive up was ok, we left around 9pm on Thursday night and drove through the night with Jackie and me swapping off as needed. The kids slept for most of it which was the plan. This allowed us to cover more ground. We stopped in the morning and had breakfast at a Waffle House I believe outside of Savannah. It was a good breakfast the kids weren't into it. After eating we were off to finish our journey. We arrived in Cherokee around 1030am and then had fun driving along the Blue Ridge Parkway for a stretch while we looked for the camp ground. We eventually found it a little before noon.

The campground was nice. It was deep in the mountains and there was no cell service for at least 10 miles. Which made the week all the more fun without cellphones! The sites were ok, however they had gravel on all the campgrounds which made for rough sleeping. Next year we will have air mattresses! The stream we were next was nice, it was fairly small but gave the grounds a nice ambiance. It is so peaceful hearing nothing but the sound of a mountain stream.

Jackie and I got our tents ready while we waited for everyone else to arrive. Laura was the first to arrive, then Steve, and finally Miriam. I met Miriam out in Cherokee and we went straight to a grocery store and bought some ice, meats, and other supplies for cooking dinner that night and breakfast the next morning.

Dinner that night was awesome. Laura had gotten the fire going and Steve set out to cook us up some really good hamburgers. By the way, hamburgers should only ever be cooked over an open flame.. omg! were they good. Once we were done we all slowly went to our tents. We all called it an early night as we were all exhausted from traveling all day. Plus, we all wanted to get plenty of sleep as Saturday was going to be a bust day.

I'll let you know about Saturday in a bit... Need to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment